Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Justin Young...Just In Time

@ House Of Blues
Style Shout Out to Justin Young...and if you don't know him yet, then this story comes to you just in time!

My daughter has had a busy few weeks.  There's been a lot going on with the school year winding down and, for nine, she's actually played quite a few gigs recently.  Yesterday she was writing out her set list for an upcoming show at the House Of Blues.  This will be her first 45 minute set so we were talking about the best way to put a set list together.  

As she was writing she said, "I'm definitely closing my set with Brighter Than The Sun!" I had absolutely no doubt that she would choose that to close the show as it has become her signature cover.  And even though piano is what I would call her first instrument, ever since seeing Colbie Caillat and Justin Young in concert the guitar is inching it's way closer to that number one position.  

You see, last October I wrote about our experience meeting Colbie Caillat and seeing her and Justin Young play at the House Of Blues.  And, yes, this is the same House Of Blues where my daughter will soon be playing, although she'll tell you that while Colbie and Justin played the "big" stage, she's playing the restaurant this time.  Meeting Colbie was a great experience because she actually took the time to ask my daughter about her music. 

This meeting coupled with one of the best concerts I've seen, left a lasting impression on my daughter.  You see, she is one of those people, regardless of age, that still believes it's all about the music and not the melodyne.  She understands that to be able to stand on a stage with an acoustic guitar and sing like the album should be a prerequisite for having a career in music.  I admire my daughter for that because honestly my hubby and I feel the same way.

With Colbie Caillat @ House Of Blues
So today while on Twitter I came across a link to a Justin Young video on You Tube that brought me to another video of him covering "Set Fire To The Rain" by Adele.  While I think Adele has an amazing voice I must admit that I really enjoyed Justin's cover.  I have such respect and admiration for any musician that can sit in front of a mic, take an extremely popular song, and somehow make it their own in a very authentic way.  If I were Adele I'd be extremely flattered.  

This song is so good I've listened to it about 7 times today and just played it for my daughter who said, "Now that's music!" I guess it's true that the apple really doesn't fall too far from the tree, even where music is concerned.

Happy Listening!  And, if you get the chance to see Colbie Caillat and Justin Young in concert...get tickets and you seriously will not be disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment