Thursday, January 19, 2012

NAMM - Spotlight On Music

Style Shout Out to NAMM...

It's no secret that I am a big fan of music and music education. I know first-hand that music builds confidence in children because thanks to my parents I was one of those fortunate kids who had a guitar and lessons at the age of ten.  And thanks to his parents, my hubby grew up in a house full of musicians.

As parents, my hubby and I believe that one of the greatest gifts we can give our daughter is the gift of confidence.  For us, creating a positive environment is key and music is a major part of our everyday.

Being musicians ourselves, I guess it was no big surprise for us when our daughter started sitting behind our drum kit when she was a toddler, started strumming a guitar soon after that, and started asking for piano lessons when she was in kindergarten. We waited to start piano lessons until the summer before second grade because we wanted to make sure she was ready.

Taylor
As I was reading about the NAMM show that starts this week out in Southern California it reminded me of the article I wrote last year about their "Pledge to Play" initiative and how much NAMM does to promote music education.

Music education is so important and while I can't speak for everyone I can say that I see how music has inspired my nine year old.  And whether it's a coffee house or the House of Blues restaurant or giving a report at school, I see a confident young lady who has the ability to express herself. Music has sparked her creativity and love of writing.  It's so nice to see her pick up her guitar and iPad to write a song or learn a new cover like Colbie Caillat's Brighter Than The Sun rather than picking up her iPad to play a game.


So thanks NAMM for continuing to shine the spotlight on the importance of music! 


My Style Shout Out Tip:  Give yourself or someone you love the gift of music. My daughter and hubby gave me a beautiful Taylor acoustic guitar for Christmas. Picking it up I felt like I was ten again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment