Friday, February 24, 2012

Facing Fears With A Smile & A Song

Style Shout Out to facing your fears on Friday...well actually Thursday.

My Taylor 214CE
Let me start by saying that every year I make a few New Year's resolutions and try very hard to keep them. I don't ever make a resolution that is so difficult to keep because I believe in being positive and not setting myself up for failure. So this year when my husband and daughter gave me a Taylor acoustic guitar for Christmas I was compelled to practice more and actually started writing songs again.  This guitar is an amazing instrument in its craftsmanship and tonal quality and is the kind of guitar that needs to be played out at a gig and not just played in the studio in our house.

So on New Year's Eve one of my resolutions was to play out at least once in 2012.  First of all this is really big for me because, even though I've spent time in the studio, I haven't played a gig since we lived in California which is over a decade ago. The other reason it was big is because even though I love to play and sing, I actually get very nervous before a gig. I wouldn't call it full on stage fright but I would call it a fear.  I guess being a Mom I've always tried to set a good example for my daughter and I figured if she saw me get up on a stage it would show her that anything is possible with the right attitude.

I honestly didn't think this particular resolution was one I would be able to keep so quickly but recent circumstances helped me out a bit.  You see my nine year old had a gig last night at a local coffee shop and she opened the show with a few Colbie Caillat tunes, including her signature "Brighter Than The Sun" and "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles.  When the performer who was closing the show ran late I heard the words, "Jac, get up and sing a few."

Kara Ackerman Brooke Knot
Was I nervous? Yes, I was.  But I saw my husband clapping and my daughter's smiling face and thought if she can do this with such ease, surely I can face my fear. So I grabbed a guitar, thankful that I was wearing my favorite Kara Ackerman Brooke Knot leather bracelet because it's very rock n roll, stood in front of the microphone with trembling hands and basically said, "Thanks for letting me fulfill a New Year's resolution.  I haven't done this since the 90's."  A few songs later I thanked the audience for being so kind with their applause and walked away from the mic feeling a bit taller.

I must admit that my daughter did remind me that since I didn't play my Taylor guitar that this performance may not actually fulfill the entire resolution...then she said, "I just saw the smile on your face Mom and you were good. You should play more."


My Style Shout Out Tip:  Facing fears is really hard but last night was a bit easier because it was very unexpected. Today step outside of your comfort zone a little bit whether it's playing a different style of music or wearing a different style of jean.  For me, I saw a cute pair of Jimmy Choo ballet flats at Saks in a dusty pink...not a color I would normally buy but I'm stepping out of my comfort zone in some very comfy looking Jimmy Choos.

No comments:

Post a Comment