Friday, February 18, 2011

Pink Poodles, Cake & L.A.M.B.? Fashion is Fun!

Style Shout Out to Isaac Mizrahi and Gwen Stefani for always having fun with fashion!

Yesterday was a big day at New York Fashion Week.  While so many wonderful designers like Shaun Kearney for Cynthia Steffe, Marchesa, Donna Karan, Michael Kors and of course Marc Jacobs had finished their shows, the week was wrapping up with the much anticipated collections of Gwen Stefani and her  L.A.M.B. Fashion and Isaac Mizrahi.

Isaac Mizrahi Show
I was especially looking forward to both of these shows because these two designers are the ones that have had an impact on my daughter and are the reason why, at the age of 8, she is always sketching.  And I must admit they are amazing.

Isaac Mizrahi did not disappoint bringing his usual flair for elegant simplicity to the runway and managing to do this while combining two of my favorite things...puppies and cake!  With colors ranging from pinks to oranges his designs were in a word, stunning!  The two favorites for me were his floor length pink strapless gown and the scoop neck pink sparkling mini, both accessorized with pink poodles.

To me the name Isaac Mizrahi is synonymous with ingenuity.  Mizrahi is innovative in his design and the way he brings them to life.  He has a playfulness and zest for design that shines through whether on the runway or on QVC.  My daughter, who was home sick yesterday, was more than a little excited to watch his runway show via livestream.  As a gentleman walked down the runway carrying a beautiful pink cake she said, "Mom the color of the cake goes with the color of the dresses.  This is so awesome."  And it was both awesome and unique.  By partnering with the Cake Boss, Mizrahi was able to creatively introduce each color palette of his collection in an interesting way.

Gwen Stefani at LAMB
Gwen Stefani resonates with me because, like Mizrahi, she evokes a feeling of fun.  I lived in Orange County during the time No Doubt was making their mark on music and I have watched the evolution of this style icon from the lead singer in a local band who is now making her mark on the fashion industry, while still singing with the band.

Her collection was so representative of all things Gwen...beauty, elegance and fun!  She has established herself as a powerhouse in this industry and always surprises with her imagination and flair.  My daughter refers to her as a triple threat with her music, perfume, and fashion line and since the age of 3 has been saying, "I am going to do that someday."  I have no doubt (no pun intended) that she will achieve whatever goals she sets!

So as we say farewell to New York Fashion Week 2011, I am saying hello to fun and thank you Isaac Mizrahi and Gwen Stefani.  Your collections make me feel like dancing and singing, and for me this is the true meaning of fashion.  It's the feeling you get when you slip on a really great pair of shoes or an awesome dress or a great pair of jeans.  So today, channel your inner rock star, throw on something pink, dance and sing and have some fun with fashion!

No comments:

Post a Comment