Monday, February 14, 2011

Red Carpet and Rock & Roll

Style Shout Out to The Grammys for 53 years of honoring artists who create such beautiful music!

Marc Jacobs Lola
And the Grammy goes to...I can't tell you how many times as a kid the "goes to" would be followed by my name.  At some point I think almost everyone has accepted a Grammy or similar award in the shape of a bottle of hairspray or perfume.  My daughter's Grammy is her coveted bottle of Marc Jacobs Lola perfume.

The Grammy Awards hold the same allure for me today as they did when I was a kid.  I love the eclectic mix of musicians that take the stage together like this year when Keith Urban, John Mayer and Norah Jones performed a version of Dolly Parton's Jolene.  And, I love the red carpet and the unique mix of personalities and outfits that grace the carpet.

Giuliana Rancic in Randi Rahm
This year the Red Carpet did not disappoint.  Watching the live coverage on E! my daughter and I were feverishly taking notes on the hits and misses.  As my daughter gets older this is a tradition in our house.  We are kind of like our own Fashion Police and we do have a lot of laughs during awards season.

I can honestly say that we agreed on every red carpet hit!  And let's start with the host herself, Giuliana Rancic.  I have to say that I absolutely loved the Randi Rahm dress that she wore in the first hour of the E! live broadcast.  The beautiful neutral shade so complimented her skin tone and the dress was fun and flirty.  It's not often I see a dress on the red carpet and really want it.  But tonight there were two, and  this is one of those dresses.  I have to admit that I had not heard of Randi Rahm before tonight but I am a huge fan now!  Giuliana that dress was a big hit!

Julianne Hough in
Catherine Malandrino
Julianne Hough looked stunning in a printed floor-length Catherine Malandrino gown with a plunging v neckline.  Her Stuart Weitzman shoes complimented the boho-chic look and the purple tones of the dress played beautifully with her blond hair.  I think this was the perfect dress for the Grammy Awards as this show to me screams playful!
Nicole Kidman in Gaultier & 
Fred Leighton Jewels
& Keith Urban

Nicole Kidman looked fabulous in Jean Paul Gaultier and Fred Leighton jewelry. The strapless dress looked like it was made for her and was elegant yet fun and fresh.  Her make-up, done by celebrity make-up artist and founder of LORAC Cosmetics Carol Shaw, was, as always, flawless.  And her grammy award-winning husband Keith Urban was her best accessory!

Another Red Carpet hit was made by Jennifer Lopez who was shining in a silver stunner by Pucci.  Her natural make-up accentuated her beauty but did not compete with the sparkle of that fabulous mini dress.

Selena Gomez in J Mendel
Now my daughter, as she is 8 years old, is a very big fan of Disney and all things Selena Gomez.  Tonight Selena Gomez looked very glamourous in a golden shimmery gown by J Mendel.  As a Mom I thought the dress was age appropriate for the 18 year old who seems to be on the right track in managing her career while remaining a good role model for girls.  This is no easy task, so tonight Gomez hit a big home run with the dress but an even bigger home run by continuing to consider that even though she is 18 years old, many of her fans are still in elementary school!

Chrissy Teigren &
John Legend in Gucci
A Burberry clad Ryan Seacrest also deserves a mention since his co-host Giuliana Rancic always garners so much red carpet attention.  And, it is Burberry, enough said!

And finally a big Red Carpet hit in our house was made by Grammy winner John Legend, whose album with The Roots (yes, you know them from Late Night With Jimmy Fallon) is fabulous, and his girlfriend Chrissy Teigren.  The couple were both dressed in Gucci and this is a designer of all things luxury that I have always loved.  I may be a bit sentimental when it comes to Gucci since it was the first designer bag I ever owned!  There is just something so alluring about that green and red stripe on a wallet or bag.  For me, Gucci is synonymous with style and John Legend in Gucci Heritage and Chrissy Teigren in a beautiful azure silk duchess and bright green crepe de chine short dress just exuded style.  The color of that dress so complimented her hair color and style and was like a breath of fresh Springtime air in the middle of an unusually cold winter.  And yes this is the other dress I would love to have in my closet.

So thanks E! for the great Red Carpet coverage, the designers for their creativity, the celebrities for breathing life into the designers' creations,  and, of course, to The Grammys for another great night of rock and roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment