Monday, June 20, 2011

Big Music, Big Man

Photo By John Cavanaugh
StonePonyOnLine.com
Style Shout Out to The Big Man who gave the E Street Band their Big Sound!

I loved growing up in New York City and New Jersey.  We had amazing museums, the theater, the shore (and not the one from TV), the NY Yankees and the NY Giants, fabulous food and great music!  Buying that first Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band record was like a right of passage for every teenager that I knew. And when it comes to music I still gravitate to Jersey with Springsteen, Bon Jovi and Pete Yorn still among my favorites.

Sure I have "Greetings From Asbury Park" on my IPhone playlist but every once in a while I reach for the album and carefully place it on our turntable. There is just something about listening to anything by Springsteen on vinyl that brings me right back to when kids in New Jersey were trying to get "Born To Run" recognized as the state song. And when you talk about Springsteen you have to talk about the band.

The E Street Band has a sound all their own mostly due to the amazing musical ability of The Big Man on the saxophone, Clarence Clemons.  His sound was all his own...so distinctive...and more amazing in a live performance than it was on a recording.

I feel so fortunate to have seen him in concert with Bruce Springsteen on several occasions, and one time without the Boss... Yes I said it, The Big Man without The Boss.  In college my friend heard that Bruce Springsteen was going to make a surprise appearance at The Stone Pony. So we headed to the iconic club where it wasn't Springsteen who was performing that night, it was Clemons who gave an amazing show.  There are not enough words to describe his charisma and talent.

So today a big style shout out to the music and the amazing memories...Clarence Clemons will be missed but his music will live on!


My Style Shout Out Tip:  If you haven't listened to "Greetings From Asbury Park" this is one record that should be in everyone's playlist!  Happy listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment