Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday Shorts - Make A Wish

Style Shout Out to Sunday and keeping it short...well, sort of short.

Yesterday I spent a great day with my family swimming, taking a trip to Guitar Center, and going to dinner at Maggiano's Little Italy.

I love Maggiano's and every time I walk through the doors I smile as it reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of Modern Family.

Maggiano's is currently fundraising for the Make-A-Wish Foundation.  When my daughter asked why there were so many paper stars on the mirrors of the restaurant one of the Maggiano's team members told us that every time someone orders a dish on the "specials" list $1.00 is donated to Make-A-Wish.  And, when a customer makes a donation they get to write their name on a star!  He went on to say that our local restaurant had raised approximately $7000 last month which was enough to grant a child's wish for a cruise with their family.

My 8 year old promptly reached into her tiny handbag and took out a $5 bill that her Grandfather had given her, and she said, "This is all I have in my bag and I'd like to donate it to the kids."  As she was writing her name on the star with her favorite pink pen I got tears in my eyes.   When I asked her what prompted her to make a donation she said, "I know I'm really lucky and I know there are kids that need this $5.00 more than I do."  My hubby and I both made a donation and as we watched our three stars being put up on the wall I gave my little one a hug and told her I was so proud of her.   She said, "Today's a great day!"  And it really was.


My Style Shout Out Tip:  Visit your local Maggiano's or visit them on Facebook to make a donation to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.  And remember, it's never too early to start talking to your children about helping others and the importance of giving back.

http://www.facebook.com/Maggianos

No comments:

Post a Comment