Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sunday Shorts - Happy Father's Day

Hallmark
Style Shout Out to Sunday and keeping it kind of short!

Happy Father's Day to my Dad and my hubby...two of the most wonderful men I know who always put their families first and know the true meaning of being a great Dad!

Thank you to my Dad who taught me the importance of family values...who, along with my Mom, asked us every night at the dinner table about our day...who was always there for me when I was young and is still there for me today...who rushed home from the city on Mondays during High School JV football games just to see me cheerleading...

Seriously, someone once asked him at a game as he was watching from the sidelines still dressed in his business suit, "Which one is yours?" while pointing to the guys on the field.  My Mom smiled as my Dad replied proudly, "She's the captain of the cheerleading squad."  Needless to say mine was the only "cheerleader" Dad there every Monday that season and I appreciate it to this day.  It's those little things that stick with you.

And to my hubby who in addition to being a fabulous husband is the most wonderful Dad to our daughter.  It's not often you hear about a Dad who misses the first day of a board meeting because his daughter is performing at House of Blues in a music school showcase...or rearranges his business schedule to be at every parent-teacher conference. So my daughter at the young age of 8 already realizes she has a pretty special Dad and today as they are in the recording studio and I am listening to some fabulous music being created and seeing some brilliant smiles on two very happy faces I realize how fortunate I am.

Studies have shown that if a daughter has a strong father figure in her life and a Dad who is involved then she will grow up to be a stronger and confident woman.  I believe this to be true and believe that the secret to raising confident children is simple common sense...if you take an interest in your children and what they are doing they will respect you and out of that respect for you they will respect themselves.  Children that have self-respect have more self-confidence and self-esteem and make better choices as they navigate the waters of growing up.

So thank you to all the Dad's who take the time with their children and especially to my Dad and my hubby!  I hope you have a great day.


My Style Shout Out Tip:   My hubby always says we are born with two ears and one mouth...listen before you speak especially to your kids.  My parents always listened and today I can honestly say that even at my age I still feel like I'm being heard.  And I think that's what kids at any age want...to feel like they have a voice and that when they have something to say, the most important people in their lives are listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment