Friday, May 20, 2011

Fallen Idol

Haley Reinhart & Ryan Seacrest via E!Online
Style Shout Out to Haley Reinhart for her outstanding performances on Season 10 of American Idol.

Well, another season of American Idol is winding down and our favorite Idol has fallen out of the competition.  I enjoyed watching this season with my hubby and daughter because now that she is 8 years old and is taking music lessons she had commentary that was so much fun and so interesting.

The Idol finale next week finds two country crooners battling it out for the title "American Idol."  I have to say that while I like Scotty and Lauren, Haley had become the favorite in our house as the weeks progressed. Her song choices were bold and showcased her ability to sing a wide range of songs.  As a musician I appreciated Haley's ability to make a song her own.  When Haley sings you believe she has a connection to the song.  Like my hubby and I told our daughter before her recent showcase at the House Of Blues, "You have to love the song, you have to believe in the song, you have to tell a story through the song and you have to sell the song."

Haley Reinhart via E!Online
There is just something so "real" about her and when Haley sings it comes from her heart.  I've heard it said that you can teach anyone to sing and while that may be true I believe that you cannot teach anyone to have soul...that is the "IT" factor that you are born with.  And that "IT" is something Haley possesses.

Haley also possesses the ability to keep calm under pressure, and not just the pressure of being judged in front of millions on live television. There was also the pressure of not getting rave reviews from the judges for her first song knowing she had a second performance to give and in that second performance confidently hitting the equivalent of a musical home-run.  When she took a fall the other night while performing she didn't miss a beat as she picked herself up and continued singing like nothing had happened.  My daughter remarked, "Haley showed great courage because she got up and kept going and that's what you always tell me."

So thanks Haley for your unique voice and for showing my 8 year old that it's not about how many times you fall down, but how many times you get up.


My Style Shout Out Tip:  Take a page from Haley's book and stay true to yourself, and if you fall down, get up and carry on with grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment