Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sunshine & The Morning After

Style Shout Out to the morning after...Not Pete Yorn's "Music For The Morning After" (although I love that CD)...just the actual morning after...

Last night we had horrible storms in our area.  Considering the devastation that recently occurred in Missouri and the twisters that were hitting Oklahoma when the warning sirens went off, as American Idol was finishing and Dancing With The Stars was beginning, it was quite unnerving.  I don't think I will ever get used to that sound and as the sirens were singing their warning song my 8 year old said, "See, this is why we need to move to California!"

There is something so stressful about that siren and I knew she was feeling unsettled so as a Mom it is job one to ease any fears.  My hubby and I assured our daughter that everything would be okay and that we were totally prepared.  We also made sure that she didn't see the images from Joplin and that while my hubby was watching the storm unfold on TV, she and I sat playing a game of fetch with our puppy and listening to music on my IPhone.  It's hard to feel stress when you are laughing and singing along to Pete Yorn and Stevie Nicks.  And, as a Mom there is no greater sound than the sound of your child laughing and singing!

This morning as I was driving my daughter to school the sun was shining and there were no signs of the wind and the hail we were pelted with last night.  But as I turned on the Today Show the images from Missouri and Oklahoma were a real reminder of how lucky we were that the storms that hit our city were not devastating.

The American Red Cross is doing everything it can to help the people affected by the recent tornadoes so if you can, please make a donation today as every little bit helps.  And for those affected, know that there is a morning after and hopefully that morning will bring some sunshine.



My Style Shout Out Tip:  Today as you go about your day stop to appreciate the people and the beauty around you...on this morning after that is exactly what I am doing.  I am also making a donation to the Red Cross.  As my daughter hopped out of the car today to go to school she turned and gave me a big smile while reminding me that I could text my donation...and so can you!

http://www.redcross.org/

http://styleshoutout.blogspot.com/2011/04/7-things-100-thoughts.html

http://styleshoutout.blogspot.com/2011/03/gratitude-simple-song.html

http://styleshoutout.blogspot.com/2011/04/music-for-monday-morning-after.html

No comments:

Post a Comment