Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tuesday Treasure - A Musical Memory

Stevie Nicks via Oprah
Style Shout Out to music and creating memories.

A few weeks ago I wrote about Stevie Nicks and Sheryl Crow singing "Landslide" on Oprah. Watching the performance with my daughter is a moment I will cherish because she had never seen Stevie Nicks sing before.  Sure she's heard me sing "Rhiannon" a few (hundred) times and she's heard both of these songstresses on my IPhone but it's just not the same as seeing a performance.

Like most children her age my daughter's playlist includes The Jonas Brothers, Aly & AJ (now 78 Violet), Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus up to and including all things Hannah Montana and the Breakout CD.  Now that she has been taking piano lessons for almost a year my hubby and I have been introducing her to music other than Disney...not that there's anything wrong with that.  We just feel that it is important to keep an open mind and listen to different musical genres.

So when she recently asked us if she could record a cover of "Landslide" we weren't as much surprised as we were impressed.  As a parent it's always so satisfying when your child actually listens when you speak and so we headed into the studio.  As "Landslide" is more of a guitar song than a piano song and my daughter is still learning how to play guitar she told me, "Thank goodness Daddy can handle the guitar tracks!  I am so fortunate!"  And she is so fortunate...fortunate that she has inherited her love of music and writing from my hubby and me...and fortunate that she can record at home.

Watching her mix the song with my hubby I was so proud when she said, "Please don't put any effects on my voice Dad.  It should sound the same as when I sing it live."  And listening back to the song after it was mixed it did just that.

Some of my best memories involve music and I hope yours do too.


My Style Shout Out Tip:  Summer is a great time to start music lessons...so grab a guitar and go!  And if you have children, give them the gift of music!



Listen HereLandslide

No comments:

Post a Comment