Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tuesday Treasure - A Recipe For Family Fun

Style Shout Out to Gwyneth Paltrow for creating a cookbook that reminds us that the true treasure is family and fun.


I recently saw Gwyneth Paltrow on the Rachael Ray Show talking about her new cookbook, "My Father's Daughter."  The segment was very heart-felt as Gwyneth talked about how she and her Dad had shared a love of cooking.  It reminded me of how cooking is a strong link which binds families together as recipes are handed down from one generation to the next and are shared.

As Gwyneth was talking about how her son loves to cook with her I thought of my daughter and how she has loved being in the kitchen since she was three years old.  She has perfected the art of making meatballs and they are as good as mine which are as good as my Mom's whose are as good as the ones my Grandmother used to make.  We watch Food Network together and  especially love Claire Robinson, Giada DeLaurentiis and Rachael Ray.

Giada at Sur La Table
I kid you not when Giada was on her book tour last year I took my daughter, then seven, to meet her. She was the only child in the line and it was so nice that Giada took a few extra minutes to talk to her and read a card my little one had made for her even though the line was long and out the door of our local Sur La Table.  Giada's kindness left a good impression on my daughter and every time we grab one of her cookbooks to create some kitchen magic my daughter says, "Met her...so awesome!"

And speaking of awesome, Gwyneth Paltrow was pretty awesome on Rachel Ray.  As she spoke about the book you could sense that this project was really close to her heart.  You could sense the love of cooking that she shared with her Dad and now shares with her children.  It was great how when Rachael brought up the fact that she is slim Gwyneth replied by saying that because she loves food she has to work her a** off.  I appreciated her honesty and have always found her to be genuine.

Gwyneth & Rachael Making Pasta With Zucchini
After watching Rachael Ray my daughter and I decided to make Gwyneth's pasta and fried zucchini dish.  We had so much fun making it and I think my daughter's favorite part was putting the sliced zucchini in a small brown paper bag, sprinkling it with flour and shaking it.  If you haven't tried this method it is a great way to coat your zucchini with flour because it is quick and fun.  The great thing about cooking with your kids is the fact that if they have a hand in making the food, they are more likely to eat it.

So thanks to Gwyneth Paltrow for a wonderful cookbook filled with some fabulous recipes and serving as a reminder to get in the kitchen and have some fun with the people you love.



My Style Shout Out Tip:  Even if you are not the greatest cook you should pick up "My Father's Daughter" because it is filled with some really easy and delicious recipes.  Grab your hubby or kids or friends...choose a recipe or two...and start cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment