Monday, March 28, 2011

If It Makes You Healthy, It Will Make You Happy

Style Shout Out to Sheryl Crow and Chuck White for creating a cookbook full of healthy recipes that are kid friendly and easy to make.

On The Today Show
I have been a fan of Sheryl Crow since her debut CD "Tuesday Night Music Club."  Nine times out of ten when I pick up my guitar you can hear me singing at least one Sheryl Crow tune, usually "All I Wanna Do" or "If It Makes You Happy."

Sheryl Crow was on the Today Show this morning with Meredith Vieira and again in the 4th hour of Today with Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb.  But instead of holding her guitar and a pick, this nine-time Grammy winner was holding a frying pan and a spatula because her latest creative endeavor is not a CD as you would expect, but a cookbook that was written with chef Chuck White which is unexpected.

Meredith Vieira brought up Crow's battle with breast cancer as inspiration for the book, and she responded by saying that, "Like a lot of people who have been diagnosed you become sort of a scholar about your body... For me...It felt like I could be proactive in my own health..."

Hoda Kotb, Sheryl Crow, Chuck White
& Kathie Lee Gifford
Crow talked about how after her breast cancer diagnosis five years ago she met with a nutritionist to change the way she looked at food and how she ate.  When she went on tour in 2006 she took White with her because, not only is he an excellent chef, but he understands nutrition and healthy cuisine and she wanted to continue eating for wellness while on the road.   After the tour she brought him on full time and White said that it was Crow's idea to write a cookbook based on healthy eating.

In her own words Sheryl Crow admitted to Meredith Vieira that, "I'm not a great cook but I can make all the things in this cookbook."  The cookbook is filled with relatively simple recipes that are grouped by seasons which makes it easy to choose organic fresh foods that are in season.  According to Crow this is, "amazingly tasty food that you don't even know is healthy."

Crow talked about the recipes being appealing even to children saying, "Everything in the cookbook that I've made my son loves and it's hard to feed a four year old."  Being a Mom of an 8 year old I know that all kids go through phases of eating everything to phases of picking at everything.

So today I am heading to Barnes and Noble because if it makes you healthy, it will make you happy.


My Style Shout Out Tip:  My Nan used to say you are what you eat and I do believe that beauty comes from within.  So today pick up "If It Makes You Healthy" put on "If It Makes You Happy" and have some fun in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment