Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday's Treasure - Make It Personal

Style Shout Out to Nate Berkus for making it easier to find the right jeans because, as most of you know, it can really be a pain in the butt.

Hudson Jeans - A Flattering Pocket
I was watching the Nate Berkus Show recently and Dannielle Kyrillos the Daily Candy Editor at Large was  talking about finding the right jeans for your body type.  You can go to the show's website to check out the information as it was very helpful.  I think many women have a difficult time finding the best pair of jeans.  Often times we are influenced by pictures of our favorite celebrities in magazines like People Style Watch or on web sites like Coolspotters.

But jeans are very personal and while you can draw inspiration from your favorite celebrities you really need to take the time to find what suits you best.  While shopping, keep in mind that sizes may vary from brand to brand.  So don't concentrate on the size, concentrate on the fit.

There are many stores like Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus that have complimentary personal shoppers ready to help you.  I think it is a great idea to take full advantage of their expertise.  In the long run this person can save you time, as they can make recommendations, and money, since the jeans you buy won't end up in the "things I bought but seldom wear pile."

My personal shopping experiences have always been positive and I am happy to say I currently have jeans in my closet suitably fit for any occasion that also fit well.  I love Hudson Jeans Carly straight legs because they look just as good rolled up with flats as they do with espadrilles or pumps.  Hudson also makes a Baby Bootcut that is a slimmer fit with a slight bootcut and again is great with flats or heels or boots.  There is also really something very flattering about the pocket on a Hudson Jean and there is no "saggy butt" when wearing this brand.  I have to admit I only started wearing Hudson recently but could kick myself in the butt for not having tried them on sooner.

7 For All Mankind makes a great bootcut jean which as the name implies looks great with boots.  My favorite wash is still the original New York Dark.  I have had a pair since 2004 and they look as good today as they did when they were under my Christmas tree.  These jeans have about a 34 inch inseam and if they are a bit long for you, many stores offer alterations.  Nordstrom's alterations are fast and free!  My recommendation is to wash the jeans first as they may shrink a bit, and then bring them back to be altered with the shoes you plan to wear them with most and remember to bring your receipt.

AG Jeans The Stilt
AG Jeans makes a skinny jean called The Stilt and it a great skinny for me because it is not tight on my calves.  The pair I purchased also had a 30 - 31 inch inseam which meant there was no need to have the jeans shortened and they look fab with flats or heels or tucked in boots.

And of course there are my Levis 518's which I go to when I am kicking around and want to be totally casual with my Converse but still look stylish.

So, today have some fun treasure hunting for your own jeans.  Make an appointment with a personal shopper as they can be the real treasure in your hunt, and can make it personal.


My Style Shout Out Tip: If you know what kind of jeans you are looking for or have a fair amount of time head to Nordstrom Rack as they always have a great selection of brands, styles and sizes.  I found a pair of Hudsons there and the price was a real treasure.  Loehmanns, Last Call by Neiman Marcus, and Saks Off 5th also offer some fabulous treasure hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment