Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Shorts

Style Shout Out to Sunday and keeping it short.

Today I am watching Meet The Press and CNN before my daughter wakes up.  The images coming from Japan are so horrific and more than any eight year old should have to view, especially since she knows that her cousins are scheduled to relocate there in the next few months and I don't want her to worry.

But you can't shield children from everything and she knows that a major earthquake and tsunami hit Japan and there was a lot of damage to the country.  She asked me if Japan was broken and how will it get fixed?  Kids really do ask some amazing questions.  My response was, "Sometimes when people act alone we are small, but when we band together we are big and can accomplish anything."

I love a "light bulb" moment , "It's like when you told me there would be times I would have to stand up for myself  even if no one stood up with me.  But then on the playground I stood up to a mean girl, and then my friends stood up with me."

When my daughter asked me who was standing up for Japan, I explained that in times of crisis people from all over the world find ways to put aside differences to help.  We talked about how the American Red Cross is an amazing organization that helps people when tragedy strikes and how they rely on donations so they can continue their good work.  I watched her walk to her piggy bank and take out five dollars,  "Here you go Mom, you should get this to the Red Cross.  If lot's of people even give a small amount it will be big."

So if you would like to make a $10 donation to the American Red Cross text the word REDCROSS to 90999 and $10 will be added to your phone bill.

It may seem like a small amount but it definitely adds up to big very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment